At Barley Fields Primary Design and Technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination, to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts. Our Design and Technology curriculum combines skills, knowledge, concepts and values to enable children to tackle real problems and develop an ability to analyse, problem solve, develop practical capability and evaluation skills.
We aim to, wherever possible, link work to other disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. The children are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers.
The curriculum for design and technology aims to ensure that children:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Our Design and Technology curriculum is high quality, well thought out and is devised to ensure progression. We measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- A reflection on standards achieved against the planned outcomes;
- A celebration of learning which demonstrates progression across the school;
- Pupil discussions about their learning; which includes discussion of their thoughts, ideas, processing and evaluations of work