The government provides additional funding to primary schools to improve provision of physical education (P.E.) and sport. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – has been allocated to primary school Head Teachers. The funding is ring-fenced and can only be spent on provision for P.E. and sport.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision for P.E. and sport and have been given the freedom to choose how they do this. Barley Fields Primary School already spends a significant portion of school budget on enriching P.E. opportunities for all children and during the academic year and has decided to use the money to:
- engage with cluster school in the local sports partnership programme
- employ specialist P.E. teachers and coaches to work alongside staff when teaching P.E. in order to strengthen teaching and learning in this subject across school;
- pay for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport;
- increase all children’s participation in sport and physical activity;
- provide funded places for vulnerable pupils in after school sports clubs and activities;
- improve resources to support the development of the subject across the school.
Current Spending Plans
Please click on the link below to view our evaluation of impact in 2019-20.