At Barley Fields Primary School, we aim to develop children who will be physically active and can flourish in a range of different physical activities. The aims of our PE curriculum are to develop children who:
- Are willing to practise skills in a range of different activities and situations, alone, in small groups and in teams, and to apply these skills in chosen activities to achieve exceptionally high levels of performance;
- Have and maintain high levels physical fitness;
- Lead a healthy lifestyle which is achieved by eating sensibly, being aware of the dangers of drugs, smoking and alcohol and exercising regularly;
- Are able to remain physically active for sustained periods of time and have an understanding of the importance of this in promoting long-term health and well-being;
- Take the initiative and become excellent young leaders, organising and officiating, and evaluating what needs to be done to improve, and motivating and instilling excellent sporting attitudes in others;
- Employ imagination and creativity in their techniques, tactics and choreography;
- Are able to improve their own and others’ performance;
- Can work independently for extended periods of time without the need for guidance or support;
- Have a keen interest in PE – a willingness to participate eagerly in every lesson, highly positive attitudes and the ability to make informed choices about engaging fully in extracurricular sport;
- Can swim at least 25 metres before the end of Year 6 and know how to remain safe in and around water.
Our PE curriculum includes the teaching of skills relating to agility, body awareness and coordination. We have excellent PE facilities with the use of a range of PE resources both small and large, a large hall for indoor activity and a Multi-use games area (MUGA) for outdoor activity.
We invest heavily in the use of coaches to enrich the P.E. curriculum and to enhance the quality of children’s learning. Through our programme, children have opportunities to participate in sports such as Dance, Gymnastics, Tennis, Cricket, Tag Rugby and Athletics. In Year 3 (as part of the KS2 curriculum), all children are expected to take part in Swimming lessons at the local swimming pool.
We participate in the local PE cluster groups, engage in sports festivals, intra, and inter school competitive activities. Our PE provision is enriched after school and during lunchtimes, with activities such as Dance, Running, Football and Netball.
PE Kit – all children must be suitably dressed in the school kit (white T-shirt, navy blue shorts, navy blue tracksuit). Appropriate footwear must be worn for outside activities. All kit must be stored in a drawstring bag due to our limited cloakroom space.
Our PE Curriculum is high quality, well thought out and is planned to demonstrate progression. In addition, we measure the impact of our curriculum through the following methods:
- A reflection on standards achieved against the planned outcomes;
- A celebration of learning for each term which demonstrates progression across the school;
- Pupil discussions about their learning;
- The annual tracking of standards across the curriculum.